Sunday, March 25, 2012

And so it begins... Casual Observations of Life

This blog is dedicated to my Grandmother, Gamma (Jane Menefee Schutt).  One thing she taught me early in life is the importance of being a casual observer.  She sent a wonderful book to me because she noticed that I was a Casual Observer.  Along with the book came an amazing flowered bonnet much like the little girl in the book.  I wore that thing like crazy wandering around outside being the best casual observer of nature as I could be.  I spent the next 33 years being life's casual observer.

As a Casual Observer, I have maintained my image as a loner in school, a wall flower in social situations, a quiet thinker instead of a social butterfly.  I have been an introvert all my life and fought the image that introverts are weak, undesirable, and no fun!  Not true!!!  I am Strong, Desirable, and Fun when and if you take the time to get to know the real me... The me that is hiding quietly behind the wall observing the rest of the world... the me that is lovable, free spirited, open minded, giving, caring, spiritual, and so much more.

I recently read an intriguing article about the power of introversion in Time Magazine:  "The Upside Of Being An Introvert (And Why Extroverts Are Overrated)  By Bryan Walsh Monday, Feb. 06, 2012".  I highly recommend this article to all Introverts and extroverts alike.  It definitely gives a different take on the image of both and why being an introvert is a powerful thing.  I have been an introvert, to the extreme, all my life.  I was the wall flower, the loner, the social misfit. I am incredibly uncomfortable in social situations.  I avoid social gatherings unless I know there is at least one other person I can cling to, follow around, and talk to.  I have to say though, that being an educator has definitely cured a great deal of my introversion when I am around kids.  I feel 100% comfortable talking to an auditorium full of students.  I am absolutely at home in a classroom teaching.  When it comes to being an educator... I am at home and an extrovert.


What I have learned during my many casual observations of life is that Living life "out loud" doesn't require a person who is the life of the party.  Living Life "out loud" requires taking off your blinders, opening your eyes and heart, and allowing your senses to experience everything life throws at you.  Introversion is a blessing and my Grandmother knew that.  She passed on the most important thing I have learned in life: Being a Casual Observer of life is a strength, a benefit, a blessing.  


I will continue my work as Life's Casual Observer... not for anyone else but myself.  I am on a journey, an adventure.  I am not seeking answers or trying to find myself.  I know who I am, I know what I want from life, I know where I am going.  I am on a journey of observing life at it's best and at it's worst.  I am in search of nothing more than seeing life with blinders off, eyes wide open, heart and mind waiting to learn all that I can.  I will share my observations along the way and I truly hope you learn something from these observations, after all, I am an educator.

Copyright © 2012 Life's Casual Observer blog, Lauren Espinoza

No comments:

Post a Comment