Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Awakening of the Senses

I am not typically a very observant person... I miss lots of small details that others catch.  I rush around life going here and there, thinking of 50 things at once, planning my next day, worrying that I might have said the wrong thing in a conversation, wondering if the penny I just picked up will give luck to the person I pass it to next, worrying about my garden, missing my kids while they are out and about during their busy day... It's nonstop!  Do you dream in full color, epic length, 3-D?  I do... most nights.  My brain doesn't know when to or how to shut down.  I have seriously considered picking up Transcendental meditation!

Today I was rushing downtown; rushing because I had a million things to do back at the office before my day ended (which reminds me of yesterday when Merlin walked into my office, which usually puts a smile on my face to see my son after a long day... but yesterday my mind was going a million miles a minute of all the things I still had to do before my day ended... I looked up, saw Merlin, and this horrific look passed over my face... for just a moment... a look that said "Holy Crap, Really?  Really?"... I actually said, "It's 4:00 already???" ... It Couldn't be 4:00!  It just couldn't... I had too many things to do before my day ended.  I immediately caught myself and profusely apologized to Merlin.  I told him I loved him, hugged him, and apologized 50 times... I felt so horrible that he saw that look of horror when he should have been met with a look of love!... Ok, so back to today and rushing downtown...

I picked up a package at Central office, rushing in and out as quickly as I could... so many things to do back at the office!!!

As I came down the steps at Central office, a fragrant scent reached out to me beckoning a rendezvous ... seeking a courtship with my senses, a love affair with my nose.  It was a sweet combination of honeysuckle and rose.  For just a moment I considered an RSVP, but No... so many things to do!  I walked through the fragrant mist ... as I rushed past the outer edge and caught the faint tendrils of love as they grasped longingly at my senses, I couldn't help but to turn around to locate the source of this love affair!

There by the steps was a large, luscious rose bush... not the typical Red Rose kind of rose, but more of a climbing rose... I obviously know Nothing about roses except they are pretty to look at and smell great.

For a second I thought, "I don't have time to stop and smell the roses"... and then realization hit... I Must stop to smell the roses.  I go through life (truth be told... this only happens when I'm in town... at home I'm going about 3 mph) at 100 mph and don't give enough time or thought to the simple pleasures in life.  By God, I was going to stop and smell the bloomin' roses!




I leaned closer and as my nose hovered over a sweet, enticing bloom, the sound of passing cars faded away.  Cheerful birds sang as they flitted about from tree to tree.  A strong breeze sent tendrils of hair across my face.  The aroma was a warm blanket full of memories wrapped around my shoulders and cradling me as a lullaby played ever so softly in my ear.  The birds sang, leaves rustled, the breeze soothed my tired muscles. I pulled away, but another fragrant bloom bid hello and I engaged in another love affair ... my nose and the bloom... mingling for only a few seconds and then parting again.

I stepped away from the rose bush and the world came crashing back around me... cars zoomed by, thoughts of work came flooding back.. but there still lingered on my lips the sweet memory of soft caresses of a scent that took me for a spin.  A smile played at the corners of my mouth as I got in my truck.  The big, wide, crazy world was back full force, but the sweet memory of that short lived affair with a lovely rose bush changed my entire perspective.  I was so damn grateful the temptation won over and pulled me in to it's sweet embrace and awakened my senses if even for a moment.


Copyright © 2012 Life's Casual Observer blog, Lauren Espinoza

No comments:

Post a Comment